We’ve had a set of new “volunteer” tomato plants growing in the tomato pots, from seeds in tomatoes that were dropped in the pots by the original plants. A couple of these plants have reached the point of producing buds and blossoms, so I decided to see if we could get any tomatoes from them before it gets too cold. One year I picked some tomatoes on New Year’s Day so it’s possible. I chose the two sturdiest plants to keep and took out the rest.


In the course of doing this I found a couple of anole eggs in the soil. And then another egg, and a couple more, until there were eight eggs. I used a spoon to gently move the eggs into some loose soil in a bowl, and covered the eggs lightly with soil. When I was done working with the plants I carefully put the eggs back into the pots, spreading them out the way I found them at the same fairly shallow depth in the soil. October through November doesn’t seem like a great time for baby anoles to hatch because of the cooler fall weather, but they’ll have their chance. It was interesting to see that the eggs varied in size. The biggest ones were about 5/8 of an inch long, and the smaller ones went down to about 3/8 of an inch.


Anole on the fence.


Flowers on a vine on the fence.


I’ve taken many versions of this photo and here’s one more–a red trumpet flower reaching up toward the sun against the blue sky.


The ends of palm fronds blowing in the breeze.